Postby pierre gendarme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3n0gKLn84k

it's raining hard in here
i stumbled into this while surfing quite little known and truely amazing
enjoy :)
pierre gendarme

Re: engineering work

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:08 pm

OK I had not quite realized that the German AAA Forts where all that. Though I think it always gets at least a brief mention on accounts of the Battle of Berlin. Anyway interesting video.
“Such subtle covenants shall be made, till peace itself is war in masquerade.”
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Although the video's commentary is of dubious reliability, it does echo a point I've made about AA in general.

It doesn't work by shooting down planes. These flak towers were built in an attempt to protect particularly vital parts of the cities they were placed in; but shot down very few planes.

Bombers tended to stay out of range. AA is a deterrent; put forty AA guns on your vital bridge and -- post 1940, anyway -- they likely won't shoot down all that many aircraft. It's just that now the aircraft will either bomb from a great height or come in as fast as they can, bucking and weaving.

Either way, they're much less likely to hit the bridge -- or the tank column moving up through the road junction a kilometer behind the front, or the artillery battery, or whatever.

Conversely, an absence of effective AA is at least one reason why the Germans were able to silence the French artillery supporting the divisions defending the Meuse at Sedan. French AA guns there wouldn't have nobly joined the defenders on the river (as they would in TOAW), nor would they have shot down all that many Stukas (again, as they would in TOAW). What they would have done is to sharply reduce the extent to which the German dive bombers could have silenced the French artillery -- in short, keeping them from contributing as much to the attack.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby pierre gendarme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 pm

"Although the video's commentary is of dubious reliability"

it might be
neverthless i did like it because it's something i didn't know at all
some towers remained until today
i find it impressive to have such a tall strcture withstanding so much damage
from an engineering point of view i find this to be interesting.

regarding the material used and the effectiveness of the towers one might have something to say about it but that's another story.
It's funny i visited briefly Hamburg, Berlin and Vienna and didn't spot a single of these.

a good reason to come back ( now i have to convince Sarah on this and that's also another story)
pierre gendarme

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:44 pm

pierre gendarme wrote:"Although the video's commentary is of dubious reliability"

it might be

regarding the material used and the effectiveness of the towers one might have something to say about it but that's another story.
It's funny i visited briefly Hamburg, Berlin and Vienna and didn't spot a single of these.

a good reason to come back ( now i have to convince Sarah on this and that's also another story)

She's going to love it. You'll develop a hobby of visiting derelict sites from the military history of the past.

'But honey, this dreary housing development is where Gustavus Adolphus...'
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Here's a blast from the past.

BFD47342-92AB-4CE4-A7A9-33E560CD946B.jpeg
BFD47342-92AB-4CE4-A7A9-33E560CD946B.jpeg (154.06 KiB) Viewed 34 times

It's a memorial the Germans erected in 1942 or something to a battalion of Fallschirmjäger that was handled particularly severely during the initial drop on Crete; virtually wiped out, I would guess.

It's very obscure; I wasn't even sure it was still there. To see it, you have to go up a path past a yard -- thankfully fenced -- with a very unfriendly dog, and there it is.

On the bright side, apparently the Cretans debated tearing it down, and while they weren't about to make a tourist attraction of it, they did decide to let it be -- which was decent of them, considering. Our politically correct vermin of today could learn something from that -- but then again, maybe they couldn't.

The sad bit is that it has been defaced -- but apparently by Germans.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 am

pierre gendarme wrote:"Although the video's commentary is of dubious reliability"

it might be

I remember the zoo tower being pointed out to me when I was in Berlin, but perhaps understandably the Berliners aren't super keen to draw attention to them and it was largely obscured. They wall them off, surround them with trees, etc. I imagine they would knock them down if they could get away with it.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Ben Turner wrote:

it might be

I remember the zoo tower being pointed out to me when I was in Berlin, but perhaps understandably the Berliners aren't super keen to draw attention to them and it was largely obscured. They wall them off, surround them with trees, etc. I imagine they would knock them down if they could get away with it.

Somebody needs to come up with a happy compromise somewhere between that and Yasukuni Shrine.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Return to General Discussion