COMBAT

COMBAT

Postby Steve Sill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:33 pm

What happens when a unit with 51 Pz-IVDs attacks a unit with 36 Rifle Squads and 6 45mm AT Guns- expressed as a function?

I wouldn't know ! If I had to come up with a solution, I myself personally would add to the bottom of my list on what to do for this project, because I would be making it up based on a guess. Therefore, I would rather that we find someone who has some experience in these matters, I think.
Steve Sill

Re: COMBAT

Postby Colin Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 am

Steve Sill wrote:What happens when a unit with 51 Pz-IVDs attacks a unit with 36 Rifle Squads and 6 45mm AT Guns- expressed as a function?

I wouldn't know ! If I had to come up with a solution, I myself personally would add to the bottom of my list on what to do for this project, because I would be making it up based on a guess. Therefore, I would rather that we find someone who has some experience in these matters, I think.

Well, I think Ben's point is that obviously, this is the foundation of it all.

I differ, but one way or another, we do need an engine that can satisfactorily resolve ground combat.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Steve Sill » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am

I don't even understand fully how TOAW resolves combat. I get one equipment item against another, but when units with multiple/many different types of equipment face off, I have no idea how it proceeds. If I had to make it up on my own, I would assign each of the equipment items attack values against hard and soft targets, and defense values from AP and HE rounds, then resolve the two. This is probably too simple, but I have no idea what I am doing.
Steve Sill

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 am

Steve Sill wrote:I don't even understand fully how TOAW resolves combat. I get one equipment item against another, but when units with multiple/many different types of equipment face off, I have no idea how it proceeds. If I had to make it up on my own, I would assign each of the equipment items attack values against hard and soft targets, and defense values from AP and HE rounds, then resolve the two. This is probably too simple, but I have no idea what I am doing.

This is one of the reasons I'd love to involve Obi wan Kano...whoops, I mean Norm Kroger in the process. He's likely the only man alive who really understands how it all fits together...or at least, was supposed to fit together.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Steve Sill » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 am

The fable I heard was that Norm made it so that we're not supposed to be able to figure it all out ... we shouldn't be able to sit down with a formula and a calculator and determine what the odds of success are ... there is some amount of mystery in playing this game. I like it that way, because I'm not a fan of staring at a Combat Results Table all night. I'd rather test my knowledge of weapons by looking at my unit[s] and comparing them to the opposing unit[s], making a decision and then executing and observing the results!
Steve Sill

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:19 am

Steve Sill wrote:The fable I heard was that Norm made it so that we're not supposed to be able to figure it all out ... we shouldn't be able to sit down with a formula and a calculator and determine what the odds of success are ... there is some amount of mystery in playing this game. I like it that way, because I'm not a fan of staring at a Combat Results Table all night. I'd rather test my knowledge of weapons by looking at my unit[s] and comparing them to the opposing unit[s], making a decision and then executing and observing the results!

Yeah. That was my feeling. You're led to reason rather authentically, 'okay, this is a fresh panzer division and that's one rather tired infantry regiment that hasn't really had time to dig in -- I think I can bounce it out of there, but let's assign some Stukas to be sure.'

One element of it all, though, that's been more or less innocently sabotaged is early turn ending.

Exasperating as it may be, the original intent seems to have been to reproduce some of the advantages of a 'we-go' system -- both sides may not move simultaneously, but you can't guarantee at what point you're going to stop moving and your opponent is going to start.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Return to Game Design