Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:50 pm

'White House Lifts Mysterious Hold on Military Aid to Lebanon
The Trump administration will allow the $105 million aid package to flow after freezing the funding without explanation.'

Presumably, one of Hitler's little helpers in the administration got a little too eager to provide what he imagined would be assistance to the cause.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby specterx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Ben Turner wrote:There you have it, though: if the statement runs "If you got rid of 90% of the people, quality of life in the United States would be high" then it follows that quality of life in the United States in not high.

I'd say it's the big problem of our age is how to deal with the problem of overpopulation in an era where our ability to feed people is no longer a limiting factor on population growth, without making excessive impositions on personal freedoms.

A global programme: if you're under 25 and childless you can receive $10,000 to be sterilised. In practice it'll only be taken up in the third world where that's serious money, but anyone can apply so it's not the programme's fault if whites don't.

It's not really the American people I object to (with the huge exceptions of Blacks and large swaths of immigrants) - although it's certainly true that, compared to similarly "cold" cultures in Northern and Western Europe, Americans in the metropolitan classes are markedly ignorant and selfish. The people in more rural areas are nice enough, but culturally they're basically savages. The last time I visited a small town in Virginia it was like a trip to Mars.

The real problem is the goddamned sprawl, followed the utterly vapid culture which ascribes no significance to anything except a) work, and b) whatever insane shit the far-left has come up with recently. One of the partners at my wife's (marketing) firm bragged to her that he hadn't taken a day off in eight years.

Perhaps the major distinguishing feature of the USA, outside of a few tiny elite enclaves, is a lack of any visible aesthetic or decorum.
Automation makes immigration obsolete.
specterx

Postby specterx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Colin Wright wrote:And we're off!

'Britain's First Transgender Couple to Allow Their 5-Year-Old Child To Begin Transition'

It's enough to make you despair of humanity.

The part that messes with me is that most people don't automatically and instantly think that this is totally fucking insane. Does nobody in the world have an independent thought anymore that isn't pre-approved by some left-wing activist group?
Automation makes immigration obsolete.
specterx

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:49 pm

specterx wrote:

'Britain's First Transgender Couple to Allow Their 5-Year-Old Child To Begin Transition'

The part that messes with me is that most people don't automatically and instantly think that this is totally fucking insane. Does nobody in the world have an independent thought anymore that isn't pre-approved by some left-wing activist group?

Exactly. It's not that someone is bonkers enough to do this, and it's not even that some poor five year old is being sacrificed alive to their deranged compulsions. It's that the media et al actually approve.

'...Earlier this year, it was revealed that five people working at Britain’s only NHS transgender clinic had quit after children as young as three were being through unnecessary gender reassignment treatment.

“Referrals to the clinic risen in recent years, with 94 in 2010, rising to 2,519 by last year, with the youngest patient aged just three,” reported the Daily Mail.'
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm

! 'German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands'

I vaguely recall my father telling me that the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau literally went down with their guns still firing; the gunners refused to abandon their posts.

Could be; people used to act like that. Calls for some tunes:

https://youtu.be/5nMr-rjRoZM

The Scharnhorst's successor died right as well. I believe I just commented on that.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 am

specterx wrote:The real problem is the goddamned sprawl, followed the utterly vapid culture which ascribes no significance to anything except a) work, and b) whatever insane shit the far-left has come up with recently. One of the partners at my wife's (marketing) firm bragged to her that he hadn't taken a day off in eight years.

Well that's bad- but there's a distinct lack of anything to ascribe significance to if one isn't religious.

For me, since everyone else in my generation seems intent on ripping the world up and starting again, my objective is to try to pass on as much of the good stuff to the next generation so that it isn't lost in the carnage. But this isn't exactly a positive goal.

Anyway, the sprawl is bad. I don't see why you can't have corner stores in residential areas. Which commandment says thou shalt have to drive to buy a pint of milk? We must have missed that one as I live pretty deep in suburbia and there are two supermarkets within a ten minute walk, and at least two schools closer than that.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am

specterx wrote:

The thing about all this stuff is that most people do think it's insane, but everyone has been in an argument with your left-wing activist at least once and the experience was so unpleasant that they keep their thoughts to themselves unless they're sure no-one within earshot might be an informer.

Read Jordan Peterson (or whatever his name is) on this. The left have won by making it rude to disagree with them.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 pm

specterx wrote:
Perhaps the major distinguishing feature of the USA, outside of a few tiny elite enclaves, is a lack of any visible aesthetic or decorum.

I suspect you don't appreciate the finer points of decorating with mounted salmon.

More seriously, isn't this a function of who you associate with?

You have some notion of the aesthetic taste (or lack thereof) and sensibilities of the average American, but how much do you really know about the average Slovak? Is your notion of 'French culture' drawn from the Louvre, or from wanderings around those huge slums to the east where they house the blacks and Arabs?

Then too, for better or for worse, Europeans are kind of doggily submissive to the dictates of their elites. America, for better or for worse, is triumphantly democratic in a sense Europe wouldn't even want. Here, at least to a far greater extent than in Europe, the plumber decides what he thinks, and whether he wants a sofa upholstered in pink with silver threads woven into the fabric.

There's a kind of organic vigor to what's left of American culture -- something that is neither the antique remnants of seventeenth century peasant life, nor the latest frothings of the urban elite. It's kids collecting for the canned food drive outside Sherms and classic car shows and Veterans Day Parades and guns and guns and guns, and always, immediately helping out your neighbor. We wanted marjoram the other day. Kim didn't have any -- but she immediately phoned Vicky to see if she did, and turned up at our door with the marjoram two minutes later.

You don't have to like it, but it's there, and hopefully, it's completely unkillable.
Last edited by Colin Wright on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Ben Turner wrote:Anyway, the sprawl is bad. I don't see why you can't have corner stores in residential areas. Which commandment says thou shalt have to drive to buy a pint of milk? We must have missed that one as I live pretty deep in suburbia and there are two supermarkets within a ten minute walk, and at least two schools closer than that.

Well, we do live six blocks south of the courthouse; you could say right in downtown. That image is a little screwed up by the deer wandering around, but we are right in alte Roseburg.

...and, there's a market within three blocks. The thing is, as far as I'm concerned, it's primary impact is to encourage a local pocket of vagrants, since they can buy alcohol there. I'm not about to patronize it; and it's probably overpriced anyway.

Besides, I don't usually want 'a quart of milk.' I want something more exotic, like a shallot, or bulgar wheat, or whatever.

I drive to Sherm's Thunderbird Market, which isn't much to look at, but which is the world's ultimate supermarket. Yet another reason to live in Roseburg.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
specterx wrote:

The thing about all this stuff is that most people do think it's insane, but everyone has been in an argument with your left-wing activist at least once and the experience was so unpleasant that they keep their thoughts to themselves unless they're sure no-one within earshot might be an informer.

Read Jordan Peterson (or whatever his name is) on this. The left have won by making it rude to disagree with them.

Yeah -- but people do get bludgeoned into at least wishing they bought into the dominant paradigm. I feel an active sense of relief when I encounter someone is (a)actually black, and (b) actually intelligent.

Why should I? Why should I want blacks to be as intelligent as whites? I don't feel any need to discover that Chinese are as tall as Swedes. The reality of other differences doesn't disturb me in the least.

But I want to be able to believe. It's so obviously not true -- but I wish it was.

It's like a very soft-core version of 1984. One becomes Winston Smith under torture, genuinely wishing he could believe two and two make five.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion