Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 am

Colin Wright wrote:It'll wake you when they do start doing that. No fear.

Anyway, considerations of inherent genius, etc aside, the Chinese have built in the effect you describe.

It's been noted that at least relative to its size, China does not have many who are the equivalent of Western engineers from top-flight schools.

Going by what I've read, what they do have are masses of technically literate workers who have received the equivalent of what we would regard as two years of trade school. Send a bunch of Chinese the parts for fifty lathes in crates and tell them to make a factory, and they can do it -- unlike, say, a similar bunch here in the West these days.

And then start churning out products designed in San Francisco according to a production line optimised by consultants in Maine.

Actually, allowing for cost of living, China's standard of living is rapidly approaching that of the West.

Well- that's assuming their figures are accurate. Did you notice how for a long time every year their growth rate was 8%? A strange coincidence that 8 is considered a lucky number in China.

Anyway, I don't think China is going to be backward forever. But I also don't buy the idea that they're going to surge ahead of us. I think it's more a matter of getting to about where Japan is and then stagnating like Japan.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 am

Colin Wright wrote:Oh not at all. That's like reasoning that because the average Briton had barely a subsistence income in 1800, the British Royal family couldn't possibly have been wealthy.

Detroit may be a dystopian hell -- life here in Roseburg is nevertheless pretty good. It could be even better if it weren't for the effects of sinister external forces -- but it's pretty good anyway. I don't feel any need to relocate to Europe or anywhere else.

The object is not to have life be good for someone, somewhere. Really one wants life to be at least bearable for at least a majority of people.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am

Colin Wright wrote:What's also almost almost literally terrifying is that our ability to alter our environment has completely outrun our ability to control those effects. Right now, we're hoovering up the world's sea life and no one seems to be able to do much to stop it. It's the population -- but it's also the technology. Hundreds of millions of affluent Chinese implies decimated salmon populations off the West Coast of North America, etc.

Well salmon isn't such a problem. One can farm salmon

We'd want to make sure it was the bottom half of any given population taking the money rather than the top half -- but it's a concept.

Well that's the beauty of the whole thing. If you're a homeless dalit then $10,000 for a procedure you barely understand sounds pretty great. If on the other hand you've just come out of university with that computing degree and are starting a decent job- not so much.

Of course, we still have to get people to grasp that if it's disproportionately blacks and Egyptian peasants who take advantage of the program, that's a good thing.

Think of it as foreign aid. Investing in deprived economies starting with those most in need.

Actually, this could have some unpleasant consequences for local economies so one might have to issue a quote per country to avoid flooding, let's say, Nigeria, with $10 billion in cash in the first year.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:24 am

Colin Wright wrote:'Climate activist Greta Thunberg said that adults should stop making young people "angry" over global warming.'

Ahem.

This was ridiculous from the start. I'm pretty sure the 'angry' young person in question is Greta herself, and that she'd be 'angry' regardless of the time, place, or situation she was born in.

Can we hold a globally televised spanking of that annoying child? She'll be happier afterwards, I promise. Just give her lots of floors to mop and the prospect of prompt punishment if she ever fails to do exactly as she's told, and she'll be right as rain -- no matter how hot it gets.

Yeah. If you read her biography, this all started when her obviously helpless parents were bludgeoned into becoming vegetarian or whatever.

I suppose that explains all the globetrotting- she's in Portugal right now but she sails everywhere so it takes a lot of time for her to move about. Her parents have finally found a way to make her someone else's problem.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:50 am

And we're off!

'Britain's First Transgender Couple to Allow Their 5-Year-Old Child To Begin Transition'

It's enough to make you despair of humanity.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am

Ben Turner wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:Oh not at all. That's like reasoning that because the average Briton had barely a subsistence income in 1800, the British Royal family couldn't possibly have been wealthy.

Detroit may be a dystopian hell -- life here in Roseburg is nevertheless pretty good. It could be even better if it weren't for the effects of sinister external forces -- but it's pretty good anyway. I don't feel any need to relocate to Europe or anywhere else.

The object is not to have life be good for someone, somewhere. Really one wants life to be at least bearable for at least a majority of people.

I'm merely pointing out that life in a lot of the United States is actually pretty nice.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

Ben Turner wrote:Actually, this could have some unpleasant consequences for local economies so one might have to issue a quote per country to avoid flooding, let's say, Nigeria, with $10 billion in cash in the first year.

You don't actually think the ones getting castrated in Africa would be the ones getting the ten thousand, do you?

An awful lot of that money would come straight back to us. Those scooping it up aren't going to be such fools as to leave it in Africa.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am

Colin Wright wrote:I'm merely pointing out that life in a lot of the United States is actually pretty nice.

Sure- the part that has hardly any people in it.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Sigh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50550742

"In 1919, then US President Theodore Roosevelt stated his belief...."

I suppose facts don't matter as long as the ideological message is correct.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:I'm merely pointing out that life in a lot of the United States is actually pretty nice.

Sure- the part that has hardly any people in it.

Hey. There're people. Douglas County has a hundred thousand inhabitants. Roseburg alone has twenty thousand.

Eugene -- seventy five miles from here -- is technically only a hundred thousand, but it's physically merged with adjacent communities, so that's a quarter of a million.

Mighty fine. The problem isn't too few people here -- it's that there are too many everywhere else.

And the wrong sort. Not like the intellectual and racial elite of Douglas County.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion