Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Ben Turner wrote:...Wake me when China does something that hasn't been done by someone else first.

It'll wake you when they do start doing that. No fear.

Anyway, considerations of inherent genius, etc aside, the Chinese have built in the effect you describe.

It's been noted that at least relative to its size, China does not have many who are the equivalent of Western engineers from top-flight schools.

Going by what I've read, what they do have are masses of technically literate workers who have received the equivalent of what we would regard as two years of trade school. Send a bunch of Chinese the parts for fifty lathes in crates and tell them to make a factory, and they can do it -- unlike, say, a similar bunch here in the West these days.

In general, I don't go with the 'Satan China' model. However, I also don't subscribe to the 'they're backwards, and always will be backwards' model -- move along' school. Actually, allowing for cost of living, China's standard of living is rapidly approaching that of the West.

They're about to resume their place as either a leading civilization on our planet or the leading civilization -- in a world where we're all next door to each other. That's something we need to accept -- and we need to realize it poses a challenge to the rest of us. We don't need to kill them all before it's too late -- but we do need to face facts.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
There you have it, though: if the statement runs "If you got rid of 90% of the people, quality of life in the United States would be high" then it follows that quality of life in the United States in not high.

Oh not at all. That's like reasoning that because the average Briton had barely a subsistence income in 1800, the British Royal family couldn't possibly have been wealthy.

Detroit may be a dystopian hell -- life here in Roseburg is nevertheless pretty good. It could be even better if it weren't for the effects of sinister external forces -- but it's pretty good anyway. I don't feel any need to relocate to Europe or anywhere else.
Last edited by Colin Wright on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Ben Turner wrote:I'd say it's the big problem of our age is how to deal with the problem of overpopulation in an era where our ability to feed people is no longer a limiting factor on population growth, without making excessive impositions on personal freedoms.

What's also almost almost literally terrifying is that our ability to alter our environment has completely outrun our ability to control those effects. Right now, we're hoovering up the world's sea life and no one seems to be able to do much to stop it. It's the population -- but it's also the technology. Hundreds of millions of affluent Chinese implies decimated salmon populations off the West Coast of North America, etc.

A global programme: if you're under 25 and childless you can receive $10,000 to be sterilised. In practice it'll only be taken up in the third world where that's serious money, but anyone can apply so it's not the programme's fault if whites don't.

We'd want to make sure it was the bottom half of any given population taking the money rather than the top half -- but it's a concept.

Of course, we still have to get people to grasp that if it's disproportionately blacks and Egyptian peasants who take advantage of the program, that's a good thing.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm

'Climate activist Greta Thunberg said that adults should stop making young people "angry" over global warming.'

Ahem.

This was ridiculous from the start. I'm pretty sure the 'angry' young person in question is Greta herself, and that she'd be 'angry' regardless of the time, place, or situation she was born in.

Can we hold a globally televised spanking of that annoying child? She'll be happier afterwards, I promise. Just give her lots of floors to mop and the prospect of prompt punishment if she ever fails to do exactly as she's told, and she'll be right as rain -- no matter how hot it gets.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm

Another comic aspect of the Greta Thunberg phenomenon occurred to me.

As you may know, Greta expresses her anger about global warming by, among other things, refusing to ride in airplanes.

So she has to cross the Atlantic by sail boat. At the moment, she's about to return from South America to Sweden (and hopefully obscurity) by sail boat.

It must be hard for her to find rides. Who would want to spend six weeks or whatever trapped on a sail boat with a very angry Swedish girl?
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 am

The Mighty Mite! Israel would seem to keep Cyprus on a pretty short leash.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-teen ... 24671.html
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 am

On the bright side, Kamala Harris is dropping out of the race.

...another bullet dodged.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:17 am

Isn't this openly discriminatory?

'US city to pay reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales

... The fund will be available to all of the city’s black residents, rather than merely those who can prove they had an ancestor who was enslaved, as long as they can meet certain residency criteria...'
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 am

Steve Sailer comments:

'They aren’t quite following the genius of my proposal, which is to make the reparations not in the form of cash but in the form of a monopoly on marijuana retailing. The idea is for African Americans to run, haphazardly, the weed dispensaries, so that far less marijuana gets sold than if some random foreign middleman minority (e.g., enterprising Ismailis from Yemen) moves to Evanston to dominate the weed trade the way that, say, Koreans have shoved blacks out of the black hair care product retailing business, much less have Costco sell kilos of Coppola brand marijuana for $79.99.'

That really is an excellent idea. Marijuana would be legal, but...
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:20 am

The BBC accomplishes the seemingly impossible. It manages to further discredit itself.

'Trump impeachment evidence overwhelming - House report
2 hours ago
Evidence for impeaching US President Donald Trump for misconduct in office is "overwhelming", according to the panel leading the impeachment inquiry.
The president placed personal political interests "above the national interests of the United States", it states in a key report to House lawmakers...'

Even granting the claim, apparently ordinary selfishness is a 'high crime or misdemeanor.'

Who'd a thought?
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion