Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:13 am

But wait. There's more!

Leaked from an internal staff meeting at what was once a great newspaper:

'Staffer: Hello, I have another question about racism. I’m wondering to what extent you think that the fact of racism and white supremacy being sort of the foundation of this country should play into our reporting. Just because it feels to me like it should be a starting point, you know? Like these conversations about what is racist, what isn’t racist. I just feel like racism is in everything. It should be considered in our science reporting, in our culture reporting, in our national reporting. And so, to me, it’s less about the individual instances of racism, and sort of how we’re thinking about racism and white supremacy as the foundation of all of the systems in the country. And I think particularly as we are launching a 1619 Project, I feel like that’s going to open us up to even more criticism from people who are like, “OK, well you’re saying this, and you’re producing this big project about this. But are you guys actually considering this in your daily reporting?” '
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:40 am

But don't count the BBC out!

From an article on Pontic Greeks:

'Sitaridi’s ancestors began leaving Greece around the 7th Century BC, travelling to Turkey’s Black Sea region in search of silver and gold. They called the area ‘Pontus’, from the Ancient Greek word for ‘sea’. Many settled there, building Greek colonies, such as Trapezus (now Trabzon) and Smyrna (now Izmir)...'

Look up the location of Izmir.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 am

Colin Wright wrote:
Ben Turner wrote:Pop quiz: who said it?

Today, practically no means other than war will educate a people in this spirit of boldness; and it has to be a war waged under daring leadership. Nothing else will counteract the softness and the desire for ease which debase the people in times of growing prosperity and increasing trade.

A people and nation can hope for a strong position in the world only if national character and familiarity with war fortify each other by continual interaction.

Theodore Roosevelt?

Carl von Clausewitz.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 am

Colin Wright wrote:My. Connect the dots on this one.

'G. Maxwell
5.0 out of 5 starsA comforting read after a personal tragedy
August 15, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition
A good friend of mine died recently under very tragic circumstances. Some of us saw it coming for quite a while but it was still a huge shock when it finally happened. I picked up this book at the advice of a friend and absolutely couldn’t put it down. I’d read it walking the dog, getting fast food, or even just lounging around the house. It helped me realized that my friend really believed in something, and that giving your life for the CIA, NSA, FBI, Mossad, or other intelligence agency is truly a higher calling and not something to mourn. A wholehearted recommendation.
19 people found this helpful'

The thing is, the review is for The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives.'

Ghislane Maxwell was just spotted reading this book.

The New York Post reports:

'Maxwell, 57, alleged madam to the multi-millionaire Epstein, was scarfing down a burger, fries and shake al fresco at an In-N-Out on Monday while reading, “The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives.” '

Sounds like someone has a dark sense of humour.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:14 am

Sounds like the start of an 1880s pulp thriller

Turkish army pension fund to buy British Steel

British Steel being the bankrupt owner of two steelworks employing a total of 3,800
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Ben Turner wrote:Sounds like the start of an 1880s pulp thriller

Turkish army pension fund to buy British Steel

British Steel being the bankrupt owner of two steelworks employing a total of 3,800

Hey. Maybe they'll introduce Shariah law at the plants and carry the female employees off to an unspeakable fate in the harems of Anatolia.

You need to realize what happening these days.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Colin Wright wrote:Hey. Maybe they'll introduce Shariah law at the plants and carry the female employees off to an unspeakable fate in the harems of Anatolia.

My suspicion is that, if there are any female employees at these steelworks, the Turks are welcome to them.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:Hey. Maybe they'll introduce Shariah law at the plants and carry the female employees off to an unspeakable fate in the harems of Anatolia.

My suspicion is that, if there are any female employees at these steelworks, the Turks are welcome to them.

You obviously have never seen Flashdance.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:09 pm

This is a good example of the misuse of the word 'hero.'

'The Russian pilots who crash-landed a fuel-laden Airbus jet in a corn field, without any serious harm to the 233 people on board, are being hailed as heroes.'

What were they supposed to do? Get out and abandon the passengers to their fate?

They had to land the plane. The alternative was to die themselves.

I'm sure it was skillful flying -- but if I manage to regain control of my car after I go into a skid, am I a 'hero'?

'Heroes' are people who take out machine gun nests single-handed, or step back from the lifeboat on the Titanic (which, incidentally, a very high proportion of the First Class male passengers did).

'Heroes' are not, on the one hand, people who manage to get themselves killed without ever actually having any choice about it, or, on the other, people who simply act to save their own lives and incidentally, those with them.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:My. Connect the dots on this one.

'G. Maxwell
5.0 out of 5 starsA comforting read after a personal tragedy
August 15, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition
A good friend of mine died recently under very tragic circumstances. Some of us saw it coming for quite a while but it was still a huge shock when it finally happened. I picked up this book at the advice of a friend and absolutely couldn’t put it down. I’d read it walking the dog, getting fast food, or even just lounging around the house. It helped me realized that my friend really believed in something, and that giving your life for the CIA, NSA, FBI, Mossad, or other intelligence agency is truly a higher calling and not something to mourn. A wholehearted recommendation.
19 people found this helpful'

The thing is, the review is for The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives.'

Ghislane Maxwell was just spotted reading this book.

The New York Post reports:

'Maxwell, 57, alleged madam to the multi-millionaire Epstein, was scarfing down a burger, fries and shake al fresco at an In-N-Out on Monday while reading, “The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives.” '

Sounds like someone has a dark sense of humour.

I suppose that's possible. But it's also possible Ms. Maxwell did post the review. She seems to feel quite entitled -- and I suspect she's justified in that.

None of this is going to go anywhere. Our masters will make sure of that.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion