Operational Warfare Solution Design

Operational Warfare Solution Design

Postby Steve Sill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:17 pm

This thread is for general conversation that doesn't apply to any of the below topics [which will have their own threads]. Attached at the bottom is an Open Office file 'Manual'.

INDEX

Environment
Calendar
Map
Terrain
Weather
Movement
Combat
Attachment
Supply
Units
Equipment
Force
Production
Replacements

Air
Naval

Editor
Computer Opponent

Interface
Attachments
OpWaSoDe.zip
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by Steve Sill on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Sill

Re: Operational Warfare Solution Design

Postby Colin Wright » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:13 am

Partisans.

I'll quote myself:

...For example, I believe the onset of first mud, and then snow and severe cold severely affected the German ability to deliver supplies to the front in the winter of 1941-1942.

For Bagration, the Russians were able to use partisans to achieve substantially the same effect. Here, if it seemed worthwhile, one could even work on a 'partisan effect' that could be combatted by setting any combat or security unit to 'Secure LOC's.' It would then ameliorate the 'partisan effect' over a certain radius.

That sounds picky, but actually, on the Eastern Front, the Germans were constantly stripping the rear of security units to patch holes at the front, then suffering the consequences of losing what amounted to a war of terror being waged between them and the partisans in the rear, then having to send units back from the front to restore the situation.

The partisans themselves almost invariably operated below the OPART horizon, and as a rule shouldn't be directly represented -- but those units needed to combat them were militarily 'visible' formations, and should variously be at the front or off winning the war of terror in the rear.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Steve Sill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am

So we have 'Partisan Effect' settings, and/or Events, whereby hexes will change ownership, and the player will be required to keep units patrolling the rear areas to either prevent conversion or to reconvert by occupation.

Alternatively, there can be Events to reflect Partisan Effects thru reduced Supply, reduced Rail Cap, reduced Movement, lower Efficiency/Shock, etc.
Steve Sill

Postby Colin Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:38 am

Steve Sill wrote:So we have 'Partisan Effect' settings, and/or Events, whereby hexes will change ownership, and the player will be required to keep units patrolling the rear areas to either prevent conversion or to reconvert by occupation.

Alternatively, there can be Events to reflect Partisan Effects thru reduced Supply, reduced Rail Cap, reduced Movement, lower Efficiency/Shock, etc.

Well, I would think we'd want a radius effect. It's going to be really Mickey Mouse to have to keep moving the regiments of Security Division 733 through all those hexes when (a) it would actually work in units a lot smaller than a regiment, (b) it wouldn't suffice to pass within 5 km of any given location once a week, and (c) most of the forty year old men involved would spend a good deal of their time within a kilometer of the train station or whatever they were garrisoning anyway.

Basically, my reading suggests that it really was a balance of terror. If there were enough Germans close enough so that they could tell what was going on, and could appear very soon and rape all the animals, seize all the men, and kill all the women, the peasantry would avoid the partisans, evade giving them food, and report them to the Germans. If there weren't enough Germans nearby, the partisans could convincingly threaten to rape all the animals, etc if the peasants didn't do as they wished. Then the peasants would decide being good Soviet citizens was the better path to living until next week.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Steve Sill » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:54 am

It's going to be really Mickey Mouse to have to keep moving the regiments of Security Division 733 through all those hexes

I agree and because of that you really won't find any partisans in any of my scenarios. I want to play a wargame not wack-a-mole! But their effects have a place, therefore an effect radius seems like a good addition.
Steve Sill

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 am

Steve Sill wrote:
It's going to be really Mickey Mouse to have to keep moving the regiments of Security Division 733 through all those hexes

I agree and because of that you really won't find any partisans in any of my scenarios. I want to play a wargame not wack-a-mole! But their effects have a place, therefore an effect radius seems like a good addition.

What might be simplest would be an extended hex ownership effect, set in the editor, and only available to non-subdivided units with an infantry, mountain, parachute, etc or security icon -- that way miscellaneous small bridging units and such don't wind up fighting partisans in Serbia.

Basically, it's a setting available to units that are set to 'LOC security' -- which becomes available if they haven't moved in the previous turn, and which drops their deployment status to 'mobile' and their readiness to 0% -- or whatever the minimum is. Then, if say, you've set the radius to six hexes, everything within six hexes of 733rd Security Division -- or 1 Gebirgs if it needs to rest and take in replacements anyway -- keeps reverting to friendly ownership after any 'partisan' effect has been applied.

Obviously, this would need to be checked and further qualified as exciting forms of abuse became apparent -- but that would be the basic idea.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 am

AA! AA has to be changed!

Two key concepts: (1) AA does not work by shooting down planes, and (2) a 40 mm Bofors cannot simultaneously be protecting a road junction three miles to the rear and supporting the 3rd Bortshires when they go over the top.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Return to Game Design