TERRAIN

TERRAIN

Postby Steve Sill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:08 pm

TERRAIN
Fully editable, the scenario editor will contain a terrain editor allowing any number of terrain types. Some pre-built options will be available. The designer will be able to pick from a number of pre-defined graphic tiles or supply their own. Each terrain type will have a number of characteristics such as Movement Cost, Defensive Benefit, Attack Benefit, Spotting.
Steve Sill

Re: TERRAIN

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Steve Sill wrote:Movement Cost, Defensive Benefit, Attack Benefit

Obviously we're not blindly copying Norm- but it's worth bearing in mind that it's way more complicated than this in TOAW.

Off the top of my head, for combat:
There's "Close, open and super-open" terrain types which impact the effectiveness of AT fire. This affects both attacker and defender
There's a multiplier for the "defence" value of equipment located in the hex. This is non-cumulative with the stance of the unit (e.g. entrenched). What "defence" does as far as I'm aware is determine how hard it is to "kill" an individual piece of equipment
There's a minimum entrenchment level (not documented but check any scenario for this effect) for a hex based on terrain type. The entrenchment level of the hex affects the chance of a unit going up to a higher defensive stance when "digging in"

For movement, the base cost to enter the hex (before things like ZOCs and refugees) is split by movement type (foot, motorised, semi-motorised), as well as by icon (mountain, amphibious, other)
Ben Turner

Postby Steve Sill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Those are two other categories, Combat and Movement. Here I was specifically referring to effects that pertain to Terrain that the Scenario Designer can set. So for example, in the Terrain Editor would be listed all of the types of Terrain along with their effects on Movement [i.e., Clear +0, Mountain +3], Defense [i.e., Clear x1, Mountain x3] and Attack [i.e., Armor into City x.50, Embarked into Coast x .75].

We don't have this ability in TOAW, but here is an example of the Defensive Bonus Editor in SC3:
Attachments
SC3x1.jpg
SC3x1.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Steve Sill

Postby Colin Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 am

Those are two other categories, Combat and Movement.

Largely, I'd be most concerned to see the combat and movement effects of terrain uncoupled.

For example, aside from the example of Nevada I've already furnished, there's Russian 'woodland' versus Southern English 'woodland.' In the case of Russia, that there would be both movement and combat effects is perfectly reasonable. In the case of Southern England, while there are many areas of 5 km square woodland that offer significant advantages to the defender, the notion that you can't walk across them just as easily as you can cross any other area 5 km wide in Southern England that doesn't contain a major road is silly.

One thought here is that we could offer a 'strategic movement' mode -- with varying penalties if you're attacked while in it. Obviously, if you realize there's an enemy force while it's a kilometer away, there are different consequences than if you realize it only when it is fifty meters away.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:39 am

Colin Wright wrote:Largely, I'd be most concerned to see the combat and movement effects of terrain uncoupled.

I think this is covered by allowing the designer to create whatever terrain types he wants.
Ben Turner

Return to Game Design