MAP

MAP

Postby Steve Sill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:08 pm

MAP
The Editor will provide a global map of Earth. Scenario Designers will be able to zoom in or out to any scale, and will also be able to rotate the map. Right Click + Hold + Drag to set map borders. An example of the Russian Front from start to finish - Open Editor [the screen shows an image of Earth] > Scroll, Ctrl +/- to zoom in/out > Left Click + Hold + Drag to scroll map to center on Moscow > Right Click + Hold on the Norwegian Sea > Drag to Caspian Sea and release Hold > Save As 'Scenario Name' > this action prompts a Pop Up 'Set Scale' per hex > enter scale in km/miles > save scenario.
The map will consist of a hexagonal grid, with each location on the grid having its own particular properties, such as terrain and weather. Locations can contain units.
Steve Sill

Re: MAP

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I think we should take as our starting point just the land vs. sea, with cities as landmarks to base further mapping on. You'd also need to specify which map projection is used- a proper map which covers a large area will need to account for the curvature of the Earth.

Apart from the feasibility of parsing the available data into a TOAW map, I doubt that a data source is available which covers the necessary range of time periods as well as the vast sweep of geography is available. Conversely, doing land vs sea plus landmarks will ensure that the most common problems of distortion in space don't occur, and make the main job of mapping much more straightforward. Think of how hard it is to paint a portrait versus colouring in a line drawing.
Ben Turner

Re: MAP

Postby Steve Sill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I've looked briefly at 'Tiled' and 'Unity' and I just don't know enough about the stuff to be able to make a decision as to what is possible for programmers today. Reading the way you are explaining it makes sense, as far as what I was describing in the first post including only a simple map, such as coasts and major features that do not change enough to matter [major cities, mountains, rivers, etc.]. That way the designer can get the bulk of tedium out of the way, but can always make adjustments to that while also being able to fill in the finer details.
Steve Sill

Return to Game Design