Attachments
Turn 20 Central American Front.png
Turn 20 Central American Front.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 167 times
“Such subtle covenants shall be made, till peace itself is war in masquerade.”
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Re: Fall Grau 2.25 Jeremy (Axis) v.s. Matt (Allies) Match 5

Postby xandamere » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Apparently I neglected to write anything for turn 20 so I'm just trying to piece it together from the end of turn save. Whoopsie.

I've been focused on trying to get defenses in place in the southeast after the fall of Charlotte to prevent a big Axis push north/northwest and I'm concerned now that I have overcommitted on this front and neglected the west, where the sudden fall of Omaha puts a dash across the Missouri in play (exactly what Jeremy did to me in our last match). I feel really good at Boston and in the southeast, where I have large reserves fortified in depth, but just a thin line along the Missouri makes me awfully nervous. So, my new National Guard Army heads that way, and I'm planning to move some of my recently-retreated armor from south of St. Louis in that direction as well. My escape on that front went off almost without a hitch, except for one reorganizing HQ which will have to, sadly, be left to die.

The Missouri River looks awfully vulnerable as newly mobilized National Guard arrive to shore things up:

West turn 20.jpg
West turn 20.jpg (308.68 KiB) Viewed 167 times
xandamere

Postby xandamere » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm

I may have overreacted a bit to the fall of Charlotte, but I didn't want the Axis to be able to quickly move up through the Appalachians:

Charlotte turn 209.jpg
Charlotte turn 209.jpg (617.46 KiB) Viewed 167 times
xandamere

Postby xandamere » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Boston, where I keep thinking about unfortifying all of these reserves and going on a full offensive (what's interesting to me is how little Jeremy sees of my depth on this front from his screenshots):

Boston turn 20.jpg
Boston turn 20.jpg (306.68 KiB) Viewed 167 times
xandamere

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:55 am

Turn 21
Not 100% sure what I am seeing here. While Matt does the usual counter attacks in the east and the one near Boston is pretty heavy it feels as if Matt is thinning out his armies. Especially facing the Wilmington Bridgehead. Maybe he is just prepping the back stop line but I suspect that Matt is sending more forces to the West at this point or at least preparing to do so.

At Boston I launch my own, now pretty standard attack. Get a little further then I have very recently which puts me close to but not at the high water mark I have been at on this front. Ever more cycling through units out here as well but that is hardly a completed thing.

Wilmington is really the quietest of the fronts. A large percentage of my army is now back being resupplied and Matt has thinned his own forces here considerably, so the fighting is pretty light. Of Note the first of the SS Divisions finally lands this turn and it is one of the ones that are part of the armies in this sector. I am not sure but I don't think the last of the Panzertruppen will have even landed before at least turn 26 and maybe as late as turn 29. I am pretty surprised by just how long it takes to get the Axis army landed with this Transport Option. Honestly if I can't find a way to make this match go long I will have made a significant strategic error in only choosing one Transport TO.

In the West Matt slips away with the army I had engaged near Memphis. I follow up killing an HQ that apparently went into reorganization. Still contemplating pushing up to St. Louis but I am much more intrigued by the possibility of crossing north of Memphis. At that point it is not that far all across the top of the South and I might be able to pull something off, especially with airborne. Not sure how easily Matt will be to abandon the south so maybe I can manage something here? Of course, it is not so easy to push forward with the potential of Matt falling on both sides of the line. This move entails some risk and the best-case scenario is just conquest of the South which has never been a game winning move.

Most exciting part of the turn however is the crossing of the Missouri near Omaha. Matt new it was coming. Pretty much the whole newly arrived National Guard Corp rails into the area. I cross anyway and really let the Panzers off the leash as these crossings work best if I can get some chaos going. If it is too set piece it can be too easy to pin me to the river. Now to find out how many Panzers I lose doing this and crossing my fingers that Matt was not really ready for me. His main Armoured concentration was just to far away at the start of the turn to decisively enter the fray and the National Guard was entrained...heck I encounter some pushing forward but it still might get pretty touch and go over the next few turns.

Turn 21.png
Turn 21.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 166 times

Axis forces jump the Missouri...
“Such subtle covenants shall be made, till peace itself is war in masquerade.”
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby xandamere » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Turn 21:

Jeremy surges across the Missouri near Omaha in a near-repeat of what happened in our last match. A few defenders are cut off. Elsewhere, not a lot of excitement. Albany doesn’t trade hands again this turn, which is interesting as it’s been going back and forth every turn. I sent an engineer to repair the bridge at Hartford, and sure enough, the division that was queued there mobilized. I’m surprised Jeremy hasn’t just stormed the city since we know that fortified units aren’t the terror that they used to (I’m also surprised he didn’t just take Charlotte much earlier in the match, given how high my replacement rate has been I would have thought that would be a priority).

More local counterattacks at Boston and in the southeast. I feel like I’m actually winning at Boston...I’m pushing him back farther on my turns than he’s pushing me on his. It’s very slow, of course, but this at least has to be causing him some consternation and drawing some reinforcements off from other points.

In the West I’m now regretting my little armored operation west of the Mississippi. It killed a couple of brigades and it drew some Axis mobile units in that direction which otherwise could be up near Omaha, but it also left a bunch of my armored divisions too far away to help the Omaha/Missouri area quickly. Those units start making their way to that front. I’m suspicious that Jeremy’s push across the Missouri is being done with a very small force...he just can’t have had THAT much up at Omaha, especially since he responded in force quickly to my attack across the Mississippi. As I move units to that area, I’m wondering if it might be possible to deal the Axis a significant defeat here. I do have 6 or 7 armored divisions moving to the area…

For now, I’ll have to satisfy myself with local attacks. I’m able to extricate some of the trapped units, and a Panzer division that was wandering off by itself is picked off and brought down by a rabble of random Allied units with a ton of bomber support. If Jeremy has more units in this area than I suspect, and if he’s feeling bold, he could launch a really vicious attack next turn….we’ll see.

And here comes the frantic reaction out west:

West turn 21.jpg
West turn 21.jpg (357.51 KiB) Viewed 164 times
xandamere

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion