Fall Grau 2.25 Jeremy (Axis) v.s. Matt (Allies) Match 5

Description of your first forum.

Re: Fall Grau 2.25 Jeremy (Axis) v.s. Matt (Allies) Match 5

Postby xandamere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:14 am

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:I'd say, though, that you shouldn't be racing to link up with Charlotte. As you note there is no Allied army of the South to cut off, only a few brigades blocking the Mississippi crossings.
There is significantly more then that. There are probably 6 or 7 Divisions guarding the Mississippi below Memphis and I bet around that again scattered throughout the rest of the south screening stuff and guarding beaches. I've been watching his turns through the match and it is hard to know exactly what the force is down here but while it is not really large its not truly empty and abandoned either. That is actually Matt's style - if I sent two Divisions unsupported to besiege and storm Atlanta I bet he'd kill them.

Let's see...there are a total of 10 1/2 infantry divisions along with 2 armored divisions guarding the Mississippi. The rest of the South is basically empty - 2 Mexican divisions guarding the beaches near Mobile and 2 others trying to keep the last rail line out of Florida open. Nothing else until up near Chattanooga. I haven't had a unit within 8 hexes of Atlanta in ages. :)
xandamere

Postby xandamere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 am

Turn 23:

Well, I’ve thought about pulling out of the South for a while now, but Jeremy forces my hand with an engineer-assisted crossing of the Mississippi just north of Memphis. He kills one brigade and another is left in reorg and will die, but I’m able to extricate the rest of my units from the Mississippi line. I’m pulling back to the line of the Tennessee/Missouri river (odd how this game is shaping up like our last one…). Mildly annoyed as I had a fortified brigade guarding where he crossed, but Jeremy was able to blow it out of the way without using up much of his turn and was able to advance rapidly.

Sadly, the Florida reinforcements are looking like they’re going to run out, as Jeremy cuts the last rail line into the state. Still, I’m happy to get what I got out of there, as those units rarely seem to see the light of day in Fall Grau.

Out in the west is where things get really interesting. Jeremy doesn’t respond to my counterattack east of Omaha very strongly, which makes me think that he didn’t really have many troops in this area, as I had hoped for. I had a couple of units to the north of the city as well, and when I start probing south….there’s nothing in my way. Jeremy must have pulled any flank guards across the Missouri to join the fight. I move some more units down and I am, I think, able to cut supply to the entire bridgehead unless he has another engineer sitting on the river a bit farther south. I’m going to keep hammering the bridgehead this turn as well, as the 3rd National Guard Army came out of reorg and can join in the fun. I’m also getting really bold (or crazy) and railing some units in from west, right up to where the broken rail lines stop….I’m really thinking everything in this area is already over the river, and I have dreams of trapping a significant Axis force. About the only downside is that there appears to be bad weather in the area as I’m not able to get very good odds at bridge attacks here.

Local counterattacks at Boston and the southeast. Annoyingly, a strong Allied armored division just evaporates during a relatively light combat at Boston. Most of the equipment was just disabled but that is frustrating. Otherwise, Albany is retaken yet again and the back and forth continues. In the west, I hammer the bridgehead, in part just because I want to drain the supplies of the Axis units in the area so that the desertion effects are that much worse.

The Western front where my offensive has, maybe, cut supply to this entire bridgehead across the Missouri:

West turn 23.jpg
West turn 23.jpg (328.61 KiB) Viewed 140 times
xandamere

Postby xandamere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am

And the South, where I completely abandon the Mississippi line and try to run away:

South turn 23.jpg
South turn 23.jpg (490.72 KiB) Viewed 140 times
xandamere

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 am

Turn 24
This is simultaneously a really frustrating and really exciting turn. It is really frustrating because it crashes....for the first time this match, but does so twice and the second time I had made a save but only one and it was pretty far back in the turn. Takes forever to do what is already a crazy long turn.

It is a crazy long turn because it involves moving the air an absolute ton. In fact I probably don't move it quite enough in the replays of the turn through laziness as originally near every plane flew to cover the air drop and then they all fly back to defend the bridges. Here I think I cut that back a lot.

I do decide this turn to bring the Japanese fighters onto the map. They are just so good at covering the bridges. I am concerned that Matt will take this as even more evidence that I am probably not going to try a Western Landing. In theory I could always fly them back to cover the landing but since I am unlikely to ever go for a landing I probably never do that.

On this note I am getting close to the Panama Canal and am somewhat concerned as I am now really far from the supply point and the units are just getting weaker. It is possible that the handful of units Matt has at the Panama Canal can hold on against my incredible shrinking attackers. That said I can probably just do a coastal landing nearish the Panama Canal with fresh units should that come up. Actually it dawns on me that one can probably always just land near the Panama Canal and simply storm it and this laborious march through South America might not really be necessary.

In other news my turn starts with me being terrified as Matt says in his email that he thinks he has cut the entire bridgehead over the Missouri off as I had not defended the Western Side. It is true that the Western side has less defenders as I took the defenders and fed them into the desperate situation on the Eastern side of the Missouri Bridgehead. That said I had advanced upward with units that were reinforcing and thought it unlikely that Matt could cut all the engineers off. Turns out this is fortunately true and one the Engineers provides clear lines of supply over the Missouri. Still the situation there remains just desperate. Matt is clearly driving me backward though he is really pushing his units to do so. I launch only one attack here myself to get a better double line and have to hope that I can manage to feed in enough powerful fresh German Infantry fast enough to regain the initiative out here. I also withdraw some of my most burnt out units to become the east side defenders as I don't really think Matt has a full on counter attack developing on the Western side yet.

To make matters worse the Allied Subs have now gone beyond attritioning my replacements and hit the supply as well. With one hit to supply that sends my supply stockpile to low but not critical but it is pretty critical if you are trying to supply the other side of a Bridgehead.

Boston remains a real problem. Matt shoves me back as he always does and I start up on my plan to simply storm Hartford from the front. Still I am less then clear how I will manage to deal with the Hudson and finally make a real crossing. Matt does not have a huge army here but it is adequate and he does have a huge artillery concentration. Enough that with my difficulties advancing I can't seem to capture more hexs then he recaptures.

The northern part of the Wilmington Front is pretty quiet. Actually, Matt is making some withdrawals to shorten his line and that is no surprise because the really big event this turn is that Matt starts to pull out of the south. The thing is while I clearly see him railing a fair bit out I see a lot of units just driving and suspect that can't get to the other side of the Tennessee. This is confirmed on my turn when I can see a couple of Allied units in spotted hexs south of the Tennessee. I have my Armour set up in the east and in the west and I have brought my airborne down to this front and stuck them on airbases so it is time to try for a move. I drop them blocking the one remaining rail line that Matt has out of here and get lucky with the first one which lands among a swarm of Allied units – more then I thought would be around. Once the first unit gets down however the rest can be landed safely so long as you land them beside the first unit dropped and that works pretty well at blocking access to the Tennessee with armour sweeping in from both sides. It will be really interesting to see if Matt fights this. I think I actually might have bagged a fair number of Allied units down here. It is not the worst haul if I can see every one of them but I suspect I can only see about half. I blow the final bridge over the Tennessee with my own Bombers just to make life that much more difficult for Matt if he does try and pull off a rescue. I am also pouring a fair number of reinforcements down this way – many had started heading this way last turn so they will be arriving in the area.

If I am right I might actually make an OK haul. Enough, maybe, to help reverse the worrying and constant trend of the Loss Rating sliding back toward even.

I will also manage to get the 5 Industrial Cities down here and Hartford should fall as well. Plus I launch another offensive this turn with 3 Corps of Italians advancing on Albuquerque. I think it is enough to swarm the place – and if I am wrong then that is a pretty sizable force Matt will have to deploy to block the Italians.
“Such subtle covenants shall be made, till peace itself is war in masquerade.”
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 am

Axis North East Front Turn 24
Attachments
Turn 24 North East Front.png
Turn 24 North East Front.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 120 times
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 am

Axis South East Front Turn 24
Attachments
Turn 24 South East Front.png
Turn 24 South East Front.png (2.82 MiB) Viewed 120 times
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 am

Axis West Front Turn 24
Attachments
Turn 24 West Front.png
Turn 24 West Front.png (2.23 MiB) Viewed 120 times
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:25 am

Axis Central American Front Turn 24
Attachments
Turn 24 Central American Front.png
Turn 24 Central American Front.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 120 times
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:Well no spoilers but if we think back to the distant past the last time I beat you I essentially just pulverized your armies in the east until you broke...I would say that this was the theory I came into this match with. I expect that if I can get stuck in with the Allies eventually they crack under the constant fighting. That is how Mr. Frederiksen ultimately beat me as well.

I think the window to "get stuck in with the Allies" has passed- they're seeking to get stuck in with you.

It's unusual around turn 20 for the Allied player to still have these powerful offensive forces available.
Ben Turner

Postby Ben Turner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:On this note I am getting close to the Panama Canal and am somewhat concerned as I am now really far from the supply point and the units are just getting weaker. It is possible that the handful of units Matt has at the Panama Canal can hold on against my incredible shrinking attackers.

The canal itself has no supply point so if you've overrun everything on the way then you can quite easily take the canal too.

That said I can probably just do a coastal landing nearish the Panama Canal with fresh units should that come up. Actually it dawns on me that one can probably always just land near the Panama Canal and simply storm it and this laborious march through South America might not really be necessary.

Land where? Only the anchorages are legal landing locations and these are reasonably well protected.
Ben Turner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion