Fall Grau 2.25 Jeremy (Axis) v.s. Matt (Allies) Match 5

Description of your first forum.

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 am

Well with B/B/G off the table I decide to do an invasion that plays around in this space. The thing is while Matt has been using B/B/G pretty exclusively it is not exactly what the originator of the invasion, Ben, was doing. Ben's recent strategy's have all been about pinning the Allies in the east and then delivering a knock out blow in the west. B/B/G was just means to that end.

So I sit down and start contemplating this...

...and do an invasion turn – except that I am not actually sure what the plan is. Am I going to try and just destroy the Axis Army in the east and win? Or is this about racing to the Ohio...or am I doing Ben's East – West strategy? I might even be doing something else – I am tempted by all sorts of other possibilities that are opened up...but suspect that really the best chance for an Axis victory is to keep ones eye on the ball.

At the moment I don't think I will make a choice as I don't really think I have to. Whatever strategy I am going for I am going to want to threaten to cross the Ohio and try and use that threat to leverage Matt out of the North East. If I can get the North East in the early part of the game a lot of options open up. With the North East what I did to Pierre becomes possible – essentially there is a second pinning opportunity. Pin the Allies to the Midwest and start taking everything else. That is a dangerous game however as the Allies might recover.

One thing I know I want to do in this match is just take one sea transport hit to supply. That does tend to lean one to more improvisation later as the Axis are weaker during the very early game. It is harder to overwhelm an Allied weak point as less Axis units means less pinned Allied units.

Turn 1
After looking at the map for a while I come to the conclusion that I really don't like the Norfolk landing point. It is really hard to get to the supply point. This gets me looking for an alternative and I decide that Wilmington has enough going for it to make it the landing point. It is way easier to take, it is actually the same distance from Wilmington to the key Huntington bridge over the Ohio – which is not true as the crow flies but is true in Fall Grau because hexs. I like that Charlotteville can be easily dispatched by a Division along the way and Norfolk is indefensible from the south. The real problem of course is that one might be just as close to the Ohio one is not closer to New York City. I could face problems creating a viable threat to the North East.

I choose to do the lightest landing at Wilmington because it faces no real turn 1 threat. Boston and Galveston are both surrounded using airborne but neither fall on turn one (nor does Wilmington). This leaves me a bit nervous. At Galveston the two airborne Divisions that landed behind Galveston are in danger of being destroyed before the relief force shows up.

Boston is more interesting. Matt will cut my forces off on his turn but what I really wonder about is can he launch a serious attack here. I mean I don't believe that the Axis can be defeated in detail in Fall Grau if they are paying attention but this was a poor enough landing that I have some concerns...

...Which turn out to be unfounded. Actually Matt is very passive on his turn. Maybe this is his run away strategy but if so I am kind of confused. Because of the really high recon on turn 1 I can see what Matt is doing but I am not sure I quite understand it. Could be a kind of wait and see strategy maybe. Basically he is about three hexs back from my Boston landing and appears to be roughing out a defensive line. I'd have thought this might be the delaying force but he is clearly reinforcing the area heavily. So looks like he will fight me here but will give the the opportunity to comfortably deploy and attack. I kind of suspect that Matt had not really made up his mind what he wanted from this situation. Possibly Wilmington was far enough away that abandoning New York City did not make sense but he still wanted tp leave that option open if it turned out that the North East was actually in trouble.

Near Wilmington Matt begins to rough out a line. It is actually really far forward compared to what I was expecting. I suppose this makes a certain amount of sense. The issue with defending against Wilmington early on is that there are actually a fair number of directions that Axis can go. I mention the key Ohio bridge at Huntington but there are other bridges to the West right up to about Cincinnati that are just not that much further and you have to cover the route. Normally the Allies don't have much trouble covering this as they have the Allied concentration at New York but here most of those guys went to cover Boston so I think Matt is doing what he can to shorten the line even if it means early fighting is somewhat less favourable terrain. I note that most of the Allied troops in the south head this way. I tend to send them to Galveston hoping to have a big army there quickly.

Speaking of Galveston it is not to clear what the story is here as units are kind of on their way from everywhere. This is the only area Matt counter attacks in driving one of the Airborne Divisions back a hex. All in all not a scary turn at all really.

Turn 01.png
Turn 01.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 239 times

Axis land at Boston but are stymied by the cities defenders
“Such subtle covenants shall be made, till peace itself is war in masquerade.”
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Re: Fall Grau 2.25 Jeremy (Axis) v.s. Matt (Allies) Match 5

Postby Ben Turner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 am

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:After looking at the map for a while I come to the conclusion that I really don't like the Norfolk landing point. It is really hard to get to the supply point.

I think this is to the good. There were a lot of harbour defences around Norfolk and so any seaborne invasion is going to have to go some distance to avoid them. Of course, the Axis player could always commit some of his paratroopers to guaranteeing the port is taken- but these units ideally should be an advanced guard for your turn two advance inland.

This gets me looking for an alternative and I decide that Wilmington has enough going for it to make it the landing point.

I'm happy about this. When was the last time that Wilmington was critical to the Axis strategy? More options are opening up for the scenario.
Ben Turner

Postby xandamere » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Whoops, did not notice this went up!

Jeremy decides to go for the closest thing to the previous best landing he can, invading at Boston, Wilmington, and Galveston. I suppose he could have gone for Norfolk, but that’s an ugly invasion point with extra reserve divisions (in fortified status, no less), and would basically require a fair bit of the airborne in order to pull off quickly.

The potential upside of this newer route for the Allies is that I’m not so immediately pressured in New England, and can send quite a lot of troops up to Boston. I think about trying to pen it in and counterattack immediately, but that kind of fighting right on the beach never seems to end well for the Allies. Instead, I start occupying key bits of terrain where I can block the Axis advance and make use of the large number of engineer units in this area to get to fortified status quickly.

The potential downside of this new route is that Wilmington sure looks a lot less threatening than Baltimore...which means it’s easy to not send it enough troops. With the Boston/Baltimore/Galveston landing, Baltimore was the main thrust, trying to get over the Ohio. I think this route is going to end up being similar - if the Axis can push west from Wilmington and get across the Appalachians and the Ohio early on, it’s game over. Of course, they have farther to go in order to do so with this route. And, of course, the Galveston invasion can always threaten to turn into a giant left hook later in the match.

Nothing too out of the ordinary here on turn 1. I want to hem in the Boston landing as much as possible, while on the other fronts, my goal is to delay before pulling back. I don’t want to fight to the death for Charlotte or the rest of the south, but I do want to defend the Appalachians and the Ohio line, as well as block Jeremy from getting up to Baltimore and New England from the south. In the west, I just want to delay and then run away...if Jeremy wants to push this landing hard, he’ll have to either win a significant tactical victory against me, or he’ll have to land a lot of troops here, weakening his other fronts.
xandamere

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Turn 2
Well cleared out the Allied defences of all the ports and secured the supply lines this turn. That pretty much takes up the whole Axis turn however there is jut a little bit of a push off the beaches as well and really y turns end I'm confident that there is no chance the Allies can really mess with the beaches themselves. Allied turn seems to mostly be reinforcing the lines fleshed out last turn though the Allied line at Houston has me confused as Matt seems to open the door to the eastern flank.

Turn 02.png
Turn 02.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 229 times

Axis forces push off the beaches in the south
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby xandamere » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am

Not much from the Axis as they just consolidate their supply points (the newer, tougher reserve divisions held out on turn 1 at all landing points).

Not much from the Allies, either. I’m wondering now if, since Boston held out on turn 1, I should have tried to push on that front...not as if I was going to throw the Axis back into the sea, but I could have inflicted some pain. Ah well. At this point I’ll just happily dig in and march more troops to the front.

In response to Jeremy's thoughts on the southern front: where would you go? I'm not worried about you making a mad dash anywhere, really. I'm just trying to preserve my force, really.

Aliled defenses around Boston start to shore up. Note I'm focusing on entrenching on terrain that isn't on roads - the Axis infantry are slow and it really eats up their turns to try and dig out Allied troops in bad terrain.

Boston turn 2.jpg
Boston turn 2.jpg (229.75 KiB) Viewed 227 times
xandamere

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Turn 3
Decision time. I go for the single hit to supply – easy choice as Matt is not really pressuring me. Otherwise it is pretty much start making a solid push forward. Most of the reinforcements go to Wilmington as it dawns on me this turn that the basic outline of a plan that I have is not really three offensive’s but four. From Boston I conquer New England in support with an attack from the south. Galveston I presumably head for the Missouri and St. Louis, but Wilmington is actually two attacks. One heads for the Ohio while the other pushes north in support of the Boston attack with the goal of securing the North East.
[Edit: I make a big deal of there being four offensives’ here but I did not treat it this way I think beyond this turn or this turn and maybe the next. Very quickly I returned to a pattern of sending roughly equal amounts to each front – there will be exceptions to that later for various reasons but that is the pattern I mostly maintained.]

In any case I keep pushing forward this turn coming into contact with Matt's line both around Boston and near Houston. The real story though is on Matt's turn where Matt decides that he has had enough and begins a major attack, especially near Wilmington but really in contact and fighting on all fronts. A couple of units are cut from supply but nothing too major.

Boston 90%

Turn 03.png
Turn 03.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 219 times

Axis forces would briefly encounter some resistance to the landing in the West but very quickly the Americans fade into the mist
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby xandamere » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 am

Now we’re getting into some combat. I’m wondering if I should have bothered defending Houston at all, as now I have units getting battered and in reorg status here, and Jeremy looks to have landed his first panzer division on this front. I manage to counterattack to blunt the threat of immediate encirclement, but I’m already feeling like I need to pull out of Houston and back to Dallas. Charlotte is approached, but a quick counterattack lets me cut supply to 2 leading units. I have a fairly robust line here that I feel pretty good about in the short term. It won’t hold for that long, really, but it’ll delay the Axis.

Allied defenses begin to coalesce in the southeast:

Charlotte turn 3.jpg
Charlotte turn 3.jpg (316.82 KiB) Viewed 217 times
xandamere

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Turn 4
With Matt in contact all along the front everywhere needs reinforcements. Galveston gets the most. It is an exciting turn. Boston is the least interesting with a mild advance. Meanwhile Galveston is a bit odd. Matt really has not covered the east so I have pushed out this way. The result is that I am flanking around Houston to the north east. With the West not clearly closed I send Panzers there (which is why Galveston gets the most). I am hoping for a double envelopment here. That said Matt does not bother covering the Mississippi crossings and that has me thinking that I really ought to go and get those southern cities. I mean not exactly the plan but if they are undefended...

The most exciting part however is back at Wilmington where I react to Matt's attack by shifting a Panzer Division to the threatened area while sending two Panzer Grenadiers sweeping around the north. It is an exciting but nerve wracking move as I have 4 Divisions and an HQ well cut off and this might open a way to an advance to the Ohio...but I am vulnerable to a counter move. I get this every game. I don't want to make flashy moves with the Panzers because they are vulnerable to counter moves but if you don't use them then what is the point? So who dares wins! Well except when they don't.

Not sure I mention it else ware but I am racing a unit of the El Salvadorians to the coast because there is a supply point there and I intend to bring Axis units ashore in Central America to slowly work their way south to secure the Panama Canal. The last few fiasco's on the Pacific have me wary of landing the Japanese and here Ben has both fixed this coastal supply point in Central America so it works and also added significantly beefed up the American West Coast Defenses. The last few matches have seemed to indicate that Allied Airpower can indeed blast through the ship defenses ... possibly the more 'realistic' ship damage rules are effecting things here. Back in Opart III ships had this odd power to really defend ground units in transports. You could get through them but you needed to be pretty lucky. Here it seems easier. Bottom line is I was wary of a Japanese Coastal landing to begin with and starring at the awesome coastal artillery - which I tested pre-game and it was real close to 100% lethal I just don't believe the Japanese can get ashore unless the Allies have been so destroyed in the Germans that it does not matter anyway. I'm going to clear the Panama Canal the long and Malaria laden way.
Last edited by Jeremy Mac Donald on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald

Postby Jeremy Mac Donald » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Axis North East Front Turn 4
Attachments
Turn 4 North East Front.png
Turn 4 North East Front.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 213 times
―John Dryden
Jeremy Mac Donald