Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Pat Buchanan complains that the Democrats are dominated by whites.

Well, this is still a mostly-white country. A commentator makes some more pointed and awkward observations:
'The six candidates who have qualified for the Dec. 19 debate — the front four, plus Amy Klobuchar and Tom Steyer — are all white.

Steyer and Sanders are Jewish. Jews are only 2% of the population but make up 33% of the remaining Democrat presidential candidates. Yet they tell us they are a powerless minority and any belief or sentiment to the contrary is an “anti-semitic trope”.

REPLYAGREE/DISAGREE/ETC. THIS COMMENTER
KenH says:
December 6, 2019 at 10:53 am GMT • 100 Words
The chairs of the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees managing impeachment, Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler, are both white……

They’re both Jewish.

…all three experts Nadler invited to make the Democrats’ case for impeachment were white law professors

Three of the four so called Constitution experts paraded before the cameras the other day were also Jewish.'

Once you start noticing, it really is remarkable.

It would perhaps be tolerable -- except that given Israel, Jews have an agenda that deviates significantly from that of the rest of us. It's a bit like if Armenians played a major role in our political life. Fine -- but do we really have to keep pursuing a final solution to the Turkish problem?
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Trump logs another 51% approval rating.

Boy, those impeachment hearings are really hurting him.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 am

It's reported that three fellow Saudis filmed that attack in Florida as it happened.

If so, then they're dimwits. Didn't they realize that only Israelis are allowed to film terrorist attacks as they happen?
Last edited by Colin Wright on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:40 am

Jews would seem to be pretty safe, then.

'Jeremy Corbyn is the biggest global threat to Jews, warns Simon Wiesenthal Centre'

So the biggest threat they face is a far-left politician in a middle-rank state who has never said anything anti-semitic in his life and who is highly unlikely to get elected.

We should all be in such danger.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Poor Afghans, stereotyped as violent invaders who liked to ravage India.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50634829

It's as if we portrayed the Comanche as something other than the benign pacifists of the plains -- or Vikings as potentially violent.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 am

The BBC asks:

'Why are people homophobic?'

To slightly misquote the Protestant Irishman when asked why he hated Catholics:

'Are ye daft, man? On account of their sexual preferences, of course!'

Look. Back in the day, I was frankly and bluntly -- if relatively -- tolerant of homosexuals. I.just.didn't.care.

However, their taste in sex is (literally) perverted, disgusting, and incomprehensible. Other than that, I've no real problem with them.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:28 am

Colin Wright wrote:Well, we do live six blocks south of the courthouse; you could say right in downtown. That image is a little screwed up by the deer wandering around, but we are right in alte Roseburg.

...and, there's a market within three blocks. The thing is, as far as I'm concerned, it's primary impact is to encourage a local pocket of vagrants, since they can buy alcohol there. I'm not about to patronize it; and it's probably overpriced anyway.

Besides, I don't usually want 'a quart of milk.' I want something more exotic, like a shallot, or bulgar wheat, or whatever.

Oh yeah if I want that I might have to go to the other supermarket that's twenty minutes' walk away- assuming neither of the two supermarkets closer have it.

Anyway, stop acting like your area represents anything like the norm for American life. More than 80% of Americans live in cities and big cities in America are mostly badly planned suburbs.
Ben Turner

Postby Colin Wright » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Ben Turner wrote:
Anyway, stop acting like your area represents anything like the norm for American life. More than 80% of Americans live in cities and big cities in America are mostly badly planned suburbs.

Well, it is the norm for an enormous area -- greater in size than, say, all of Europe.

Really, exclude certain chunks, and it's the rest of the country -- with, as even you appear to concede, more than sixty million inhabitants. Trump country, more or less.

What's more, the suburbs are only 'badly planned' if you assume the norm is to live in closely packed homes all within walking distance of inefficiently run corner markets at the end of convoluted distribution chains. What if you'd rather have to drive to get the groceries -- but have an acre or so or land to yourself?

After all, we're not all packed into Airstrip One. For us, it's perfectly feasible.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:24 pm

The BBC video of that volcano eruption is really undercut by the slapstick segment of New Zealand's politically-correct Prime Ministrix with the politically-correct idiot signing next to her.

The future is here -- and it's mildly ridiculous.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Ben Turner » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Colin Wright wrote:Well, it is the norm for an enormous area -- greater in size than, say, all of Europe.

Really, exclude certain chunks, and it's the rest of the country -- with, as even you appear to concede, more than sixty million inhabitants. Trump country, more or less.

If it's Trump country, Trump is fucked, because he'll only get 20% of the vote. Unless they have an outstandingly high turnout rate, Trump must actually get more of his votes from the cities.

What's more, the suburbs are only 'badly planned' if you assume the norm is to live in closely packed homes all within walking distance of inefficiently run corner markets at the end of convoluted distribution chains.

Huh? The two supermarkets I have in mind are Lidl and Sainsburys, which are both massive chains.

Anyway, you have closely packed homes but without the supermarkets (or the buses, or the train stations).

What if you'd rather have to drive to get the groceries -- but have an acre or so or land to yourself?

Scotland?
Ben Turner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion