Oh honestly

Description of your first forum.

Re: Oh honestly

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:31 pm

specterx wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:It's just as well she didn't wear a hood.

Tulsi Gabbard's latest sin. Although perhaps this is really more about the intellectual collapse of the New York Times. To think that it was once perhaps the best newspaper in the world.

To me, the most interesting part of all this is that, notwithstanding all the social upheaval of recent years, the NYT still sees fit to employ a "fashion critic" to pen long articles commenting on female politicians' choice of outfits.

The more things change...

Maybe she's just such an idiot that they parked her where she could do the least damage.

After all, the piece really is more (or less) than just ideologically offensive. It's rank nonsense. Ta-Nihisi Coates would probably blush to turn it out -- although I wouldn't really know.

I never read dem folks.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:36 pm

I think what we have here is the career path of the Jewish version of an airhead. So long as you know the right people...

'Vanessa Friedman is The Times’s fashion director and chief fashion critic. She was previously the fashion editor of the Financial Times

Vanessa Friedman

– born Dec. 1968 to wealthy parents Frederica Schwab (b.1939, New York; BA, Vassar; MA, Columbia SIPA; formerly “vice president and an associate publisher at Little, Brown & Company, the book publisher in New York”) and Stephen J. Friedman (b.1938; BA, Princeton ’59; JD, Harvard ’62; “a senior partner in Debevoise & Plimpton, the New York law firm” to 2004; later Dean [from 2004] and President of Pace University [2007-2017]) — the father is not to be confused with another Jewish New York-origin Stephen J. Friedman (b.1937), Chair of the President’s Intelligence Advisory Board 2005-2009, whose son David co-created Game of Thrones;

– ca. 1985: Vanessa graduates from prestigious Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire;

– 1989: graduates with a BA from Princeton, her father’s alma mater; major: History, minor in European Cultural Studies and Creative Writing; Vanessa on her time at Princeton:

I wrote a historical novel for my thesis, which, I don’t know how I got away with that honestly. [laughs]

– marries June 1996 J. David Stewart of Toronto, Canada (born ca. 1964; also a BA at Princeton; MA, East Asian Studies, Univ. of Toronto); her new husband was/is an investment banker whose father owned a financial management company in Toronto; the wedding was officiated by Rabbi Joel S. Goor at the University Club in New York City;

– April 1998: Vanessas is first published in the New Yorker (age 29);

– ca. 1998?: Moves to London; In her own words:

my husband worked at JP Morgan and they said to him, “Would you like to go to London for two years?” …we had no kids and no apartment, and were like, “Yeah, we’ll go for a little bit, it’ll be fun!” And we stayed for 12. [laughs]

– 2000: Has first child in London; “I decided I needed a full-time job again because I needed to control my time;”

– 2000 to 2002: serves as fashion features director for InStyle UK;

– 2002: Has second child;

– 2003: appointed the inaugural fashion editor of the Financial Times;

– By or before 2010, returns to her native New York City;

– Early 2010s: her years of hard work in London finally paying off, Vanessa receives the Front Page Award for fashion writing (2012) and Fashion Monitor Journalist of the Year award (2013).

– March 2014: named the fashion director and chief fashion critic for The New York Times...'
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:50 pm

It strikes me that she's exactly the sort of person who was born to take a ride in a tumbril.

Come the revolution...
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby specterx » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Colin Wright wrote:Now what is any of the bumph Matt reports going to produce?

Fat blue-haired lesbians?
Automation makes immigration obsolete.
specterx

Postby Colin Wright » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 am

specterx wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:Now what is any of the bumph Matt reports going to produce?

Fat blue-haired lesbians?

About. They don't improve with seven hundred and fifty years, either.

People are going to look at this and compare it to Rome's third century ad, or Constantinople's iconoclastic phase, or the Ottomans' nineteenth century.

...except that at least the Ottomans wiggled and squeaked and tried to save themselves on the way down. They didn't pretend it was all a triumphant march of progress.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:59 pm

New York Times propaganda plumbs an interesting new low.

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/11/nytimes- ... l-boycott/
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:09 am

Interesting. It's actually not what I would have guessed.

'Black NYPD Officers 3.1x More Likely to Shoot People Than Nonblack NYPD Officers at the Same Crime Scene'
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:02 am

Thou shalt hold no other Holocaust as holy as the Holocaust.

Gilad Atzmon recounts the punishment meted out to one who transgressed this commandment.

'We learned yesterday that Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion (“XR”) apologised after his comments about the Holocaust sparked outrage.

I was curious to find out what it was that Hallam said that led to such indignation. German Green politician Volker Beck accused Mr Hallam on Twitter of “bringing the climate movement into disrepute.” German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said the Nazi genocide was “uniquely inhumane” (can the German foreign minister provide a list of what he considers to have been ‘humane’ genocides?). Ullstein, Hallam’s German publisher announced it had stopped publication of Hallam’s book on climate change and that it was disassociating itself from his comments.

Judging by the scale of the histrionics I assumed that Hallam had broken every rule. He must have praised Hitler or perhaps justified or even denied the Holocaust all together. Apparently, he said nothing at all like that. In an interview with Die Zeit, Hallam stated that the Holocaust was “just another fuckery in human history.” The “fact of the matter,” he said, “is, millions of people have been killed in vicious circumstances on a regular basis throughout history.” He concluded by observing that genocides have occurred repeatedly over the past 500 years and “in fact, you might say it is like a regular event”.

At least on its face, his statements were factually correct, Hallam didn’t deny or diminish anyone’s suffering. Quite the opposite, he expressed a universal disgust with all forms of oppression and hatred.

What was Hallam’s crime? Apparently, that he spoke both authentically and ethically, and ignored the fact that this form of discourse is extinct within contemporary ‘Left’ and progressive circles.

XR’s Annemarie Botzki tweeted: “We distance ourselves from Roger Hallam’s trivialising and relativising comments about the Holocaust.” Hallam is being accused of ‘trivializing’ and ‘relativizing’ the holocaust simply by noting the clear and undeniable fact that history has witnessed more than one systematic destruction of one people by another...'

Big boo-boo. Forgiveness will not be forthcoming.
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

Postby specterx » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Colin Wright wrote:Big boo-boo. Forgiveness will not be forthcoming.

The thing I always wonder is, why do people caught up in this never stand by their comments, and invariably try to grovel in apology? Obviously, the last thing to do when facing a bully is to meekly give in.

Refusing to 'apologize' is pretty much what propelled Donald Trump from minor television personality to the White House.
Automation makes immigration obsolete.
specterx

Postby Colin Wright » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:05 pm

specterx wrote:
Colin Wright wrote:Big boo-boo. Forgiveness will not be forthcoming.

The thing I always wonder is, why do people caught up in this never stand by their comments, and invariably try to grovel in apology? Obviously, the last thing to do when facing a bully is to meekly give in.

Refusing to 'apologize' is pretty much what propelled Donald Trump from minor television personality to the White House.

Indeed.

I suppose they're just trying to salvage their careers.

Mel Gibson was eventually allowed to come back inside. Did he grovel in contrition at some point, or just ride it out?
Ilhan Omar speaks for me
Colin Wright

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion